Friday, May 8, 2015

I get by with a little help from my friends

This has been the theme of my week.

I am quickly approaching my first year completed as a school psychologist! Hallelujah. As I was talking about this to our guidance counselor intern this week, I made the comment that I've only made it at work this year with a little help from my friends. She helped with one of my social skills groups, and so she was one of these friends. I said this in a lighthearted manner,  but after thinking about it, I realized the depth behind the catchy song. There is honestly no way I would have survived my first year without the help of so many people! There are so many questions that come up in your first year that you really can't prepare for, and you need solid people to turn to. I am a big fan of the team approach to problem solving because, 1. All of the pressure isn't just on me, and 2. You get the best ideas by taking several people's experiences and backgrounds into account when looking at a difficult situation. 

This also got me thinking about my personal life, and how I also would not have survived this year without my friends. I am at a point in my life where I feel like I have some amazing, incredible women who for some reason have picked me to be their friend and watch out for me and counsel me and listen and check in and feel the feelings with me. They are truly there. After the honeymoon stage of marriage where I wasn't too interested in having close girlfriends, and grad school where I had incredible women in my life but our lives revolved around school, I am at a point where I can have and want close friends. And it's awesome! 

In school, I remember learning about the importance of social support and a strong support system. This seems obvious, but having people who have this social support deal better with challenges. I've mentioned this before, but we have felt this support so much at various times this year. I've just felt truly loved, and that feeling is priceless.  We really do get by with a little help from our friends. 

This has all led me to plan our next big adventure: the 2015 Ragnar going from Cumberland, MD to Washington, D.C. on Sloane's birthday. 


The timing is incredible, and I can't think of a better way to remember her while still making personal growth than doing a big relay with 11 friends! I am so incredibly excited. It gives me a goal and something to plan and think about other than my reproductive life, which is a break I need so badly. I have a ways to go in training, but I can't wait to get started! 

1 comment:

  1. Oh how perfect! So neat that so many of your friends are doing it with you. I'm excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete